Live!

Weather forecast:

On 22.05.2018 at 10:00 temperature in nearby Makarska is 23°C, humidity 65%, preasure 1015hPa. Wind blowing from southeast 2m/s.

Did you know?

Croatia is the original home of the spotted dog - Dalmatian. An oil painting including this famous canine was found in a Franciscan Monastery in Zaostrog, Dalmatia - artist unknown but the year is stated as 1724.

Ferries

Online booking

Jadrolinija

Euro rate

1 EUR = 7.3817 HRK

informative rate subject to changes

About history

Sucuraj exists more than 2300 years and through its history was many times totally destroyed and rebuilt. The first known inhabitants of Sucuraj were the Illyrians; their queen Teuta had a place here in 3rd century BC. In the 7th and 8th century the Croats who lived here till today colonized Sucuraj. Through its history Sucuraj was under many masters and different countries: Illyrians, Romans, Croats, Venice, French, Austrians, and Italians… Only in the 20th century Sucuraj was a part of 6 different countries.

The oldest monumental building in Sucuraj is the old Augustan (today Franciscan) monastery. When was it exactly built is unknown, but it was first rebuilt in 1309 and lastly in 1994. Sucuraj got its name from the church St. George that is mentioned in the Statue of Hvar from 1331. That church was destroyed at the end of the 19th century, and a new one was built. Most of the inhabitants of Sucuraj come from the coast in the 15th century, fledging from the Turks. From that time till today preserved church of St. Anthony built in 1663. Partially preserved is the old Venetian fortress (fortica) built in 1613.